We encourage you to contact us as soon as possible if you think you may be needing our support. The DSC attempts to satisfy every request we receive but, due to limited resources, we may not be able to fulfill your request.
To inquire about legal trainings, legal observers, jail support, our legal hotline, or any other support we can provide you, please contact the Demonstration Support Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The DSC does not charge for our services. However, we strongly encourage organizers who have the resources to consider donating to the DC NLG. The donations we receive allows us to serve individuals and small organizations that would not otherwise have access to legal services.
Legal Support Overview
Before the Action:
- Provide intensive, interactive legal training(s) to prepare activists to exercise their rights during police encounters, arrest, and incarceration.
- Train members of your group on legal support roles, including legal observers and jail support workers.
- Explain when permits are required and, if organizers choose to seek permits, explain the process for getting them.
During the Action:
- Provide legal observers to monitor the police, document arrests and police misconduct, and help communicate with offsite legal support regarding arrests.
- Provide and staff a legal hotline number for arrestee and jail support.
- Assist with locating persons who have been arrested.
After the Action:
- If possible, obtain attorneys to defend people charged with crimes as a result of the action.
- After a large mass arrest, help coordinate legal support for the arrestee’s attorneys.
- Follow up on any police misconduct observed during the action.